Throne of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Impetigo - Horror of the Zombies

Go down

Impetigo - Horror of the Zombies Empty Impetigo - Horror of the Zombies

Post  Thermonuclear Warrior Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:30 am

"Is it an illusion?... or is it real?... is it your fate? OR YOUR FACE I PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!!!!!!"

After unleashing one of the sickest albums known to man (ULTIMO MONDO CANNIBALE), as well as a few EP's and a split with the legendary BLOOD, IMPETIGO released their swansong, "Horror of the Zombies" in 1992. This record is home to many classics songs such as "Boneyard" (Their most well known track), "I Work for the Steetcleaner", "Defiling the Grave", and "Breakfast at the Manchester Morgue." This album is the epitome of Death Metal. These songs deliver an extremely dark and morbid atmosphere with zombified vocals, elaborate drumming, and a heavy wall of guitars and bass. The production is crude yet clear at the same time. As if the master tapes were soaked in blood and vomit.

Stevo Dobbins' vocals sound like something out of a zombie movie. They aren't as over the top as they were on "Giallo" and "Ultimo Mondo Cannibale." This time around, you can understand most of what he is saying. However, he sounds even more evil than he did on the releases prior to HOTZ. Proving once again, that he is one of the greatest vocalists ever!
Dan Malin is probably the most underrated drummer in Metal. His style is unique to the genre. IMPETIGO were never a technical band, as far as the guitar/bass goes, but the drumming is a different story. Dan's drumming is very technical and is loaded with very original drum beats, fills, and blasting. He didn't even need a 2nd bass drum! More metal drummers should cite him as their main influence! His intense performance on the kit is one of the reasons why this album is so great. For example, during the song "Trap Them and Kill Them", his bass drum sounds like the final heartbeats of a man waiting for his time to die, after being captured by cannibals. Which fits the lyrics, as this is what the song is about.
The tone used by guitarists, Mark Sawickis and Scott Bross, along with Stevo's bass (which is just as audible as the guitars) creates a bludgeoning assault of heaviness. No fancy lightning fast arpeggio's. Just simple and effective Death Metal. The songwritting is flawless. Compared to Ultimo Mondo Cannibale, the songs on Horror of the Zombies are often longer and have more tempo changes. Probably the best example is "Mortuaria", an ode to necrophilia (much like the infamous "I Work for the Streetcleaner") which begins with a mighty riff that builds up into a blasting monster of Death Metal, breaking down into a very slow section, which is one of the darkest moments in all of Metal. The song then picks up with a galloping rhythm before going into a very sinister mid-paced section which matches the lyrics:

"The stench of your decay arouses me
Alone in the prep room, no one to see
Our disgusting sexual lust
No one will know...
I'm alive, you and I are all alone
I want to take your cadaver home..."

If this isn't one of the darkest and most depraved songs ever written, NOTHING IS. The lyrics on this album are so well written and the vocal performance are so well done, that you would almost be convinced that Stevo is a real grave robbing necrophiliac. Very few lyricists come off as that convincing! The album opens with "Boneyard." It begins with a sample from serial killer, Henry Lee Lucas before going into the roaring intro to this mid-paced anthem that has been covered countless times and for a good reason! The final song is a 7 minute + epic entitled "Breakfast at the Manchester Morgue." Starting off with a sample from the movie of the same name (also known as The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue or Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, etc. GREAT MOVIE!) Probably IMPETIGO's best song. THIS is how you close an album! It is one song that must be heard by all metalheads!

Horror of the Zombies is like a journey through absolute horror. The songs are tales of cannibalism, zombies, necrophilia, and more! Inspired mostly by horror films. There are few bands that are in the same league as IMPETIGO when it comes to creating disturbingly evil, morbid death metal. Bands such as AUTOPSY, NUCLEAR DEATH, DECEASED, and INFESTER come to mind.
This is a masterpiece that should be owned by all deathbangers! HAIL THE TRUE GODS OF GORE!!!
Thermonuclear Warrior
Thermonuclear Warrior
Admin

Back to top Go down